US warns of potential attack on top hotel in Pakistan’s capital
The US embassy in Islamabad issues a security alert to Americans, warning that the Marriott Hotel could be targeted.
The United States embassy in Islamabad has warned its staff of a possible attack on Americans at a top hotel as Pakistan’s capital is already on high alert two days after a suicide bombing.
The US government has obtained information that “unknown individuals are possibly plotting to attack Americans at the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad sometime during the holidays”, the embassy said in a security alert on Sunday.
The advisory banned US embassy staff and other nationals from visiting the popular hotel over the Christmas holiday.
The US mission also urged all personnel to refrain from non-essential travel in Islamabad during the holiday season.
The embassy directive followed a suicide bombing in a residential area of Islamabad on Friday, which killed a police officer and wounded 10 people.
The explosion happened when police stopped a taxi for inspection during a patrol. According to police, a rear seat passenger detonated explosives he was carrying.
The Pakistani Taliban, which is separate from but allied with Afghanistan’s rulers, claimed responsibility for the attack.
The government has put Islamabad on high alert, banning public gatherings and processions even as campaigning is under way for local elections.
Police have stepped up patrols and established snap checkpoints to inspect vehicles across the city.
A suicide bombing targeted Islamabad’s Marriott Hotel in September 2008 in one of the deadliest such incidents in the capital. Attackers drove a dump truck up to the hotel’s gates before detonating it, killing 63 people and wounding more than 250.
- Spotify the Most Downloaded Audio Streaming App in Pakistan for 2022The music streaming app Spotify recently crossed 200 million paid subscribers globally with the overall listener base expected to cross 500 million by March 2023. Karachi, February 03: According to a recent report published by Data Darbar, […]
- MCB partners with Telenor to facilitate its digital banking customersMCB Bank Limited, one of Pakistan’s leading banks, has entered into a strategic partnership with Telenor Pakistan, a leading telecommunication services provider, to facilitate its digital banking customers with greater access to Telenor Pakistan’s prepaid recharge services, […]
- realme 10 Pro 5G Coca-Cola Edition to Launched on February 10thThe world’s fastest growing smartphone brand, realme, announced its collaboration with Coca-Cola® and introduced its first Coca-Cola edition smartphone, the realme 10 Pro 5G Coca-Cola Edition, which will be launched on February 10th, 2023. Mobile phone manufacturing […]
- Bank Alfalah kept its growth trajectory in 2022The Board of Directors of Bank Alfalah Limited (BAFL), in its meeting held on February 2, 2023, approved the Bank’s financial results for year ended December 31, 2022. The Bank posted profit after tax growth of 28.1% […]
- Fatima Fertilizer teams up with Multan Sultans for PSL season 8Lahore: Fatima Fertilizer signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) agreement with Multan Sultans, renewing their partnership for the eighth season of PSL which is due to start on February 13, 2023. The agreement was signed by Haider […]