US warns of potential attack on top hotel in Pakistan’s capital
The US embassy in Islamabad issues a security alert to Americans, warning that the Marriott Hotel could be targeted.
The United States embassy in Islamabad has warned its staff of a possible attack on Americans at a top hotel as Pakistan’s capital is already on high alert two days after a suicide bombing.
Afghan Taliban ban Afghan women from university education
The US government has obtained information that “unknown individuals are possibly plotting to attack Americans at the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad sometime during the holidays”, the embassy said in a security alert on Sunday.
The advisory banned US embassy staff and other nationals from visiting the popular hotel over the Christmas holiday.
The US mission also urged all personnel to refrain from non-essential travel in Islamabad during the holiday season.
The embassy directive followed a suicide bombing in a residential area of Islamabad on Friday, which killed a police officer and wounded 10 people.
Malala and distinguished panel address challenges facing higher education
The explosion happened when police stopped a taxi for inspection during a patrol. According to police, a rear seat passenger detonated explosives he was carrying.
The Pakistani Taliban, which is separate from but allied with Afghanistan’s rulers, claimed responsibility for the attack.
The government has put Islamabad on high alert, banning public gatherings and processions even as campaigning is under way for local elections.
Police have stepped up patrols and established snap checkpoints to inspect vehicles across the city.
A suicide bombing targeted Islamabad’s Marriott Hotel in September 2008 in one of the deadliest such incidents in the capital. Attackers drove a dump truck up to the hotel’s gates before detonating it, killing 63 people and wounding more than 250.
- Arçelik establishes a global Research and Development Center at NUST– Advertisement — Advertisement -Islamabad: The parent company of Dawlance, Arçelik has established its second R&D center in Pakistan at the National University of Science and Technology (NUST). Arçelik is the 2nd largest manufacturer in Europe, operates […]
- Emirates embraces the spirit of the Holy Month with a thoughtful passenger journey– Advertisement — Advertisement — Advertisement -Karachi: With the Holy Month of Ramadan expected to begin this week, Emirates is preparing thousands of Iftar meal boxes for fasting passengers both onboard and at boarding gates, an array […]
- CEJ-IBA’s ‘Click! The Digital News Ideathon’ draws audiences looking to bypass mainstream or legacy news media Revenue opportunities– Advertisement — Advertisement — Advertisement — Advertisement -KARACHI: Nearly 150 beginner, intermediate, established, and aspiring content creators gathered at the Centre for Excellence in Journalism’s (CEJ-IBA) ‘Click! The Digital News Ideathon’ to learn how to monetise […]
- Khushhali Microfinance Bank Provides Educational Support to the Students of Haripur & Lala Musa– Advertisement — Advertisement — Advertisement — Advertisement — Advertisement -Islamabad: Khushhali Microfinance Bank Limited is a leading financial institution in Pakistan, which is introducing global standards of banking for the economic growth of the country, while […]
- Here is the Ending Ceremony of PSL Final Multan Sultans vs Lahore Qalandars the Match 34 – HBL PSL 8 – Advertisement — Advertisement — Advertisement — Advertisement — Advertisement — Advertisement -Here is the Ending Ceremony of PSL Final Multan Sultans vs Lahore Qalandars the Match 34 – HBL PSL 8 – Advertisement — Advertisement […]